The Search for Sayyidina Uways ibn ‘Amir al-Qarni (r.a.)

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيم 

The following is extracted from Imam Abu Hamid Muhammad ibn Muhammad al-Ghazali’s (r.a.) Ihya’ Ulum ad-Din. 

The Amir al-Mu’minin, Sayyidina Abu Hafsw ‘Umar ibn al-Khaththab al-Faruq (r.a.) delivered this sermon to the people after taking charge of khilafat.  “O people, let the inhabitants of Iraq stand up, and let others sit down.” 

A party of men stood up.  Then he said, “Let the Inhabitants of Kufa’ stand up, and let the others sit down.” 

When it was done, he said, “Let the people of the Murad clan remain standing, and let the others sit down.” 

After that, he said, “Let the inhabitants of Qarn remain standing, and let others sit down.” 

Except for one man, all others sat down.  Then, Sayyidina ‘Umar (r.a.) asked him, Do you know Uways al-Qarni?” 

The man replied, “I know, O Commander of the Faithful.  Why do you ask about him?  By Allah, there is none more insane and foolish than he.” 

Sayyidina ‘Umar (r.a.) began to weep and said, “I heard from Rasulullah (s.a.w.) that owing to his intercession, a great many people like the numbers of Rabi’ah and Mudar clans will get Salvation.” 

Sayyidina Harim ibn Hayan (r.a.) said “When I heard this from ‘Umar, I came to Kufa and searched for Uways al-Qarni, and found him at noon washing clothes in the bank of the Tigris.  I found him strong and stout, with bald head, thick beard and broad face.  I asked him, ‘How are you O Uwais?’ 

He replied, ‘O Harim son of Hayan, how are you?  Who told you my address?’ 

I replied, ‘Allah.’  I wondered how he came to know my name when he had not seen me before.  I asked him, ‘How have you come to know my name and the name of my father?’ 

He said, ‘The Almighty Gave me this information.  My soul recognised your soul when I talked with you.  Similarly, a believer can recognise another believer.’ 

I said, ‘Tell me a hadits of Rasulullah.’ 

He said, ‘I never had any companionship with the Prophet, but I saw some of his companions and heard some traditions from them.’ 

Then he recited the Qur’anic verse: 

سُوۡرَةُ الدّخان

مَا خَلَقۡنَـٰهُمَآ إِلَّا بِٱلۡحَقِّ وَلَـٰكِنَّ أَڪۡثَرَهُمۡ لَا يَعۡلَمُونَ (٣٩) 

“I Created them with truth, but most people do not know.” (Surah ad-Dukhan:39) 

When he read up to this, he raised a loud shriek and said, ‘O Harim, your father Hayan has died and you will soon die.  Adam, his wife, Hawa, the prophets Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and even Rasulullah died.  Abu Bakr died and my friend, ‘Umar has just expired.  Alas, O ‘Umar, alas O ‘Umar.’ 

I said, ‘‘Umar has not died.  I saw him alive when I left him.’ 

He replied, ‘My Lord has Given me the news that ‘Umar has expired.  Walk in the path of Allah’s Book and the believers and the pious.  The news of your and my death have come.  Do not be unmindful even for a twinkling of an eye.  When you return to your people, give sermons to them.  Do not go a single step from the community of the Muslims.  Invoke for me and for you.  Harim, I entrust you to Allah.  May Allah Shower Mercy on you.  You will not see me again.  I am going this way and you go that way.’”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)