Shaykh Abu ‘Abd ar-Rahman Hatim ibn ‘Unwan al-Aswam (q.s.) in Brief
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
Imam Abu al-Qasim ‘Abd al-Karim ibn Huzan al-Qushayri (r.a.) recorded, in his Risalah al-Qushayriyyah, Shaykh Abu ‘Abd ar-Rahman Hatim ibn ‘Unwan al-Aswam (q.s.) was a great Sufi master of Khurasan. Some say that his name was Shaykh Hatim ibn Yusuf al-Aswam (q.s.). He was a disciple of Shaykh Abu ‘Ali Shaqiq ibn Ibrahim al-Azdi al-Balkhi (q.s.), and a teacher of Shaykh Abu Hamid Ahmad ibn Khadrawayh al-Balkhi (q.s.). People say that he was not deaf, and that he only feigned deafness once, which explains his nickname, “al-Aswam”, “the Deaf”.
Shaykh Abu ‘Ali Hasan ibn ‘Ali ad-Daqqaq (q.s.) said that, once, a woman came to Shaykh Hatim al-Aswam (q.s.), and asked him a question. It so happened that as she was with him there came from her an embarrassing sound. She was greatly mortified. Shaykh Hatim al-Aswam (q.s.) told her, “Speak louder!” and put on a show of deafness. The woman was very relieved and thought that he must have not heard the noise. Since then, he came to be known as “al-Aswam”, “the Deaf”. He carried on that charade in order to spare the blushes of one woman.
Shaykh Abu ‘Abd ar-Rahman ‘Abdullah ibn Habib al-Sulami (q.s.) said, “I heard Abu ‘Ali Sa’id ibn Ahmad say, ‘I heard my father say, ‘I heard my uncle, Muhammad ibn al-Layts say, ‘I heard Hamid al-Laffaf say, ‘I heard Hatim al-Aswam say, ‘Not a single morning passes without Satan asking me, ‘What will you eat?’, ‘What will you wear?’, and ‘Where will you live?’ I answer him, ‘I shall eat death; I shall wear a shroud; and I shall live in a grave.’’’’’”
According to the same chain of transmission, he was once asked: “Do you not desire anything?”
He answered, “All I desire is that I live from morning to evening in good health.”
Someone asked him, “Does this mean that not all of your days are healthy?”
He answered, “My day is healthy, when I do not disobey God during it.”
It is told that Shaykh Hatim al-Aswam (q.s.) said, “When I took part in a military expedition, a Turk seized me, threw me on the ground, and was about to slaughter me. However, I had no concern for him. I was lying there and waiting for what Allah (s.w.t.) had in Store for me. As he was groping for his knife, he was hit by a stray arrow that killed him. I pushed him off and stood up.”
Shaykh ‘Abdullah ibn Yusuf al-Iswbahani
(r.a.) heard from Shaykh Abu Naswr Manswur ibn Muhammad ibn Ibrahim al-Faqih
(r.a.), who heard from Shaykh Abu Muhammad Ja’far ibn Muhammad ibn Nuswayr
(r.a.), who heard Shaykh Hatim al-Aswam (q.s.) say, “Whoever
wants to follow our path must adopt four types of death: a white death, that is
hunger; a black death, that is to tolerate torments from people; a red death,
that is to oppose the urges of the soul in full sincerity; a green death, that
is to put one patch upon the other over and over again.”

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be posted.