A Lesson in Seeking Refuge in the Truth

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ 

Once, when Shaykh Habib ibn Muhammad al-‘Ajami al-Baswri (q.s.) was sitting in front of his khanaqah, his takkiyah, Shaykh Abu Sa’id ibn Abu al-Hasan Yasar al-Baswri (q.s.) came running.  Shaykh Hasan (q.s.) said, “O Habib, hide me, because Hajjaj, the Caliph’s governor, has sent his soldiers to catch me.  Hide me!” 

Shaykh Habib (q.s.) said. “Go in and hide yourself.” 

Shaykh Hasan (q.s.) went in and found himself a hiding place.  The soldiers came running and asked Habib (q.s.), “Have you seen Hasan al-Baswri?” 

“Yes, I saw him inside.  He is hiding.” 

They went in and looked around.  They looked everywhere, even looked directly at Shaykh Hasan (q.s.).  It is said they searched the khanaqah three times after Shaykh Habib al-‘Ajami (q.s.) insisted that Shaykh Hasan (q.s.) was inside.  Finally, the soldiers scolded Shaykh Habib (q.s.), “How could a man like you tell a lie?” 

“Inside, I am not lying.  He is inside.”  They could not see him and left angrily. 

Shaykh Hasan al-Baswri (q.s.) came out.  “O murid, what is this?  I came to you asking you for help, and you told the soldier where I was.” 

“O my Shaykh, you were saved by my truth.  I told the truth and Allah (s.w.t.) Protected you by it.  I entrusted you to Him, and recited Ayat al-Kursi.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Du’a of the Blind Man

The Kufr of ‘Abd al-‘Aziz ibn ‘Abdullah ibn Baz