The Reality of Repentance

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ 

Imam Abu al-Qasim al-Junayd ibn Muhammad al-Baghdadi (q.s.) visited Shaykh Abu al-Hasan Sirri ibn Mughallis as-Saqathi (q.s.) and found him in a state of contraction.  He asked, “What is wrong, Shaykh?  Why are you in contraction?” 

He replied, “A young man came to me and asked me, ‘What is the reality of repentance?’ 

I told him, ‘That you do not forget your wrong action.’ 

The young man said, ‘Rather repentance is that you forget your wrong action.’  Then he left me.” 

Imam Junayd (q.s.) continued, “I said, ‘What the young man said is correct, because when I was in a state of concealment and then He Moved me to witnessing purity, remembering concealment in the state of purity is concealment.’” 

Shaykh Sirri (q.s.) looked at the people of the beginning while Imam Junayd (q.s.) looked at the people of the end.  Each is correct, and Allah (s.w.t.) knows best.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)