Quora Answer: Have I Committed Shirk by Celebrating Halloween?

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ 

The following is my answer to a Quora question: “I never knew Halloween was a pagan festival and I used to celebrate it all the time.  Have I been commuting shirk? 

Shirk is the act of attributing power or authority to other than Allah (s.w.t.).  You cannot accidentally commit shirk anymore than you can accidentally worship another deity.  I would assume you celebrated Halloween as a commercial event, attending parties.  That is not shirk.  It would be shirk if your celebration of Halloween in the manner of the ancient druidic tradition of Samhain, and engaged in human sacrifice and offerings to the Tuath Dé.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir