Quora Answer: Why Do Muslims Not Celebrate the Birth of Jesus Christ (a.s.)?

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ 

The following is my answer to a Quora question: “Why do Muslims not celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ (a.s.)? 

It is impossible to generalise what Muslims do and do not do, when there are over a billion people who claim adherence to some form of Islam.  Many Muslims do not celebrate Christmas because it is not part of their culture, nor is it explicitly mentioned as celebrated anywhere in the Qur’an or the example of the Prophet (s.a.w.). 

However, personally, I do celebrate Christmas.  It is part of my cultural tradition as a convert from Catholicism.  It is part of my Portuguese heritage.  I see no incongruency with this.  Since Muslims celebrate the birth of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.), the Mawlid, I see no reason why cannot celebrate the birth of another prophet.  Christmas is a time of giving, and festive joy.  Being a Muslim does not preclude me from that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)