Quora Answer: Should I be Paying Zakat if I Pay Government Taxes in My Country?

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following is my answer to a Quora question: “Should I be paying zakat if I pay government taxes in my country? 

Yes.  Your taxes are your legal obligation to the state for the use of its facilities.  Your zakat is your religious obligation to those who qualify as one of the recipients of the tithe.  The former goes to the state, the latter goes to people.  The former is a secular transaction, the latter is a Divinely Mandated one.  Failing to pay your taxes, you have committed an offence.  Failing to pay the zakat, you have committed a sin.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir