Conversation with a Moth

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Shaykh Muswlih ad-Din Abu Muhammad Sa’adi ibn ‘Abdullah ash-Shirazi (q.s.) wrote, “Someone said to a moth, ‘Go, you contemptible creature, and make friendship with one worthy of yourself.  Go where you see the path of hope.  How different is your love from that of the candle!  You are not a salamander — hover not around the fire, for bravery is necessary before combat.  It is not compatible with reason that you should acknowledge as a friend one whom you know to be your enemy.’ 

‘What does it matter if I burn?’ the moth replied.  ‘I have love in my heart, and this flame is as a flower to me.  Not of my own accord do I throw myself into the fire; the chain of her love is upon my neck.  Who is it that finds fault with my friendship of my friend?  I am content to be slain at her feet.  I burn because she is dear to me, and because my destruction may affect her.’”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir