The Miracles of Qaswidah al-Burdah

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Imam Abu ‘Abdullah Muhammad ibn Sa‘id al-Buswiri ash-Shadzili (q.s.) was a wali who had reached the maqam of Ghawtsiyyah al-Kubra’.  When he walked down the street, the young and old would come out to greet him, and kiss his hand.  His body was said to have emitted a sweet scent, and he wore fine clothes, had a head of snow-white hair, a humble smile, was an ascetic, and had a respectable and virtuous character.  This was in contrast to his earlier life.  The maqam and qubur is located in Alexandria.  Imam al-Buswiri (q.s.) passed away in 1294 CE / 693 AH. 

The people of piety, the Sufis, have traditionally venerated the verses of Qaswidah al-Burdah.  The poem is memorised and recited in majalis adz-dzikr, and Milad an-Nabi.  Its verses decorate the walls of public buildings and mosques.  This poem decorated Masjid an-Nabawi, in Madina, for centuries until the accursed Wahhabis erased all but two lines under the as-Sa’ud dynasty.  Over ninety commentaries have been written on this poem, and it has been translated into Persian, Urdu, Turkish, Berber, Punjabi, English, French, German, Sindhi, Malay, and many other languages.  Even in Imam al-Buswiri’s (q.s.) lifetime, it was regarded as sacred.  Up to the present time, its verses are used as amulets; it is recited in the prayers for the dead; it has been frequently edited, and made the basis for other poems, and new poems have been made by interpolating four or six lines after each line of the original. 

Qaswidah al-Burdah was inspired by the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.), and was the catalyst of a miracle.  Imam al-Buswiri (q.s.) narrated the miraculous circumstances of his inspiration to write the qaswidah: “I had composed a number of poems in praise for the Prophet (s.a.w.), including one that was suggested to me by my friend, Zayn ad-Din Ya’qub ibn az-Zubayr.  Sometime after that, I was stricken by stroke that paralysed half of my body.  I thought that I would compose this poem, and so I made supplications to the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) to intercede for me, and ask Allah (s.w.t.) to Cure me.  I repeatedly sang the poem, wept, prayed, and asked for intercession.  Then I slept, and in my dream, I saw the Prophet (s.a.w.).  He wiped my face with his blessed hands, and covered me in his cloak.  Then I woke up and found I was able to walk, so I got up and left my house.  I had told no one about what had happened. 

I encountered a faqir on my way and he said to me, ‘I want you to give me the poem in which you praise the Prophet (s.a.w.).’ 

I asked, ‘Which one?’ 

He replied, ‘The one that you composed during your sickness.’ 

Then he recited the first verse, and said, ‘I swear, by Allah, that I heard it in a dream last night being sung in the presence of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.).  I saw the Prophet (s.a.w.) was pleased with it, and covered the person who sang it with his cloak.’ 

So, I recited the poem to him, and he memorised it, and related his vision to others.” 

The poet gave this poem to the faqir.  His secret and its barakah became known to the people.  When this poem reached Baha’ ad-Din, a governor, he regarded it so highly that he would stand while listening to it.  It is also narrated that Sa’ad ad-Din Faruqi, who was a viceroy of Baha' ad-Din, had become blind.  In a dream, he saw a pious person who told him to take the Qaswidah al-Burdah from Baha’ ad-Din, and place it on his eyes.  In the morning, he told Baha’ ad-Din about this dream.  The Qaswidah al-Burdah was brought, and with sincerity and conviction, Sa’ad ad-Din placed it on his eyes.  Through its barakah, Allah (s.w.t.) Restored his eyesight.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir