Khwaja Mu’in ad-Din Hasan Shishty’s (q.s.) Second Bay’ah

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Khwaja Mu’in ad-Din Hasan Shishty (q.s.) described his being initiated as a murid a second time in the following words: “I, Mu’in ad-Din Hasan of Sanjar, well-wisher of all the faithful, had the honour of meeting His Holiness, Khwaja ‘Utsman al-Haruni, in the mosque of Imam Junayd, in Baghdad.  His Holiness was surrounded by inspired dervishes.  When this humble being bowed low in due deference, my murshid, Khwaja ‘Utsman al-Haruni asked me to offer two genuflections, which I did. 

Then His Holiness asked me to sit with my face towards the Ka’bah.  He asked me, next, to recite Surah al-Baqarah.  I did as I was asked.  Further, his holiness commanded me to recite benedictions to the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) twenty-one times.  I obeyed.  Then His Holiness stood up and, holding my hand in his, lifted his face towards the sky and said to me, ‘Come, let me cause you to reach God.’ 

Subsequently, taking out a miqraz, turned it around on the head of this humble being and placed on my head the four-edged cap and bestowed on me the robe.  Then he asked me to sit.  I sat.  He addressed me thus: ‘It is the custom with us that a new entrant has to go through asceticism for one day and one night.  You should complete it in this one day and night.’  I obeyed.  Next day, when I attended upon him, His Holiness asked me to sit down and recite Surah al-Ikhlasw four thousand times.  I did that. 

He asked me, next, to look towards the sky.  I did.  His Holiness asked me, ‘How far do you see?’ 

I replied, ‘Up to the Great Throne.’ 

Next, he asked me to look towards the ground.  I did.  He asked me, ‘How far do you see?’ 

I replied, ‘Up to the Antipodes.’ 

Next, he asked me to recite Surah al-Ikhlasw, again, a thousand times.  I did.  He asked me to look towards the sky again.  I did.  He asked me, ‘How far do you see now?’ 

I replied, ‘Up to the Great Hidden.’ 

He asked me next to close my eyes.  I did.  He asked me to open my eyes.  I did.  Then, showing his two fingers, he asked me, ‘What do you see therein?’ 

I replied, ‘Eighteen thousand worlds.’ 

Later, pointing towards a brick ahead, he asked me to pick it up.  When I did, I found a handful of dananir therein.  He said to me, ‘Go and distribute them amongst the needy and the poor.’  I complied.  When I went to him subsequently, he said to me, ‘Live in our company for some time.’ 

I replied, ‘I am at your service, master.’”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir