Celebrity Preacher & New Convert

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

A sister I know, just before her conversion, did not exactly have it easy trying to find out about Islam.  She said, “It was just after I left ‘Turn to Islam’ forum, which was a Wahhabi forum, where I was accused me of being paid by the Zionists for simply asking questions about things I did not understand.  I joined the chat forum run by Yusuf Estes.  They would have weekly question and answer video chats with various ‘scholars’.  Great, I thought.  I would be able to learn from the boys in the know. 

At the time, I did not feel comfortable referring to myself as a Muslim.  I just felt that I did not want to take on a moniker that I might be able to live up to.  It felt like cultural appropriation to me, a big no-no in the native world.”  She is Native American. 

“Anyways, Nu’man Ali Khan was the featured speaker and to ask questions, you sent an email to the site.  I addressed him appropriately, notified him that I had been studying for over a year and I was supportive of Islam.  I then posed my question.  While other sisters asked questions and he was kind and patient, with me, he was terse and abrupt.  When I asked a follow-up question, he told me that he had already answered that question and then said that if I took that shahadah, then all would be made clear, like giving the shahadah suddenly makes you intelligent!  What an ass!”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir