The Man Who Wanted to Go to Madinah

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following is adapted from Signs on the Horizons by Shaykh Harun Michael Sugich.

“When I first arrived in Makkah, I kept company with a friend from America who was living with his wife close to the Holy Mosque and studying Arabic at Umm Al-Qurra University.  One day, during Ramadhan, he mentioned that he had given money to a poor man to visit the mosque and tomb of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) in al-Madinah al-Munawwarah.

When he said this, I thought, ‘What a wonderful thing to do – to send someone to Madinah.  I wish I could do that.’  For some reason I cannot explain, I developed an overpowering desire to send someone to visit the Prophet (s.a.w.).  I did not mention this to anyone, but loved the idea of doing it and kept thinking about it.  A few days later, I made the lesser pilgrimage, ‘umrah, after the night prayer with a friend from England.  When we finished our rituals, we were relaxing in a circle in the mathaf between the Yemeni corner and the Black Stone.

While we were sitting, a man approached our circle.  He sat down across the circle from me between two of our companions.  Clearly, he was looking for a handout.  He asked the group something.  I was not paying much attention and, in fact, found his intrusion annoying.  I looked across without much interest and asked what he wanted, and my friends told me he wanted alms, swadaqah.  As I had my money rolled up in my ihram and difficult to get to, I made no move to give him anything.  All the others reached for their purses or wallets.  It was Ramadhan after all, and a blessed time for giving.  But the man stopped them and called across to me.  Pointing to me, he said, ‘No, him!’  I looked up, nonplussed.  ‘You!’ he said.  I felt embarrassed because I had no intention of giving anything to this fellow.  Then he looked me straight in the eye and said, nodding with a meaningful grin, ‘I want to go to Madinah!’  With a jolt of recognition, I unrolled my ihram and pulled out the bus fare to al-Madinah.  He took it, refused anything from the others and disappeared.”

As Shaykh Taj ad-Din Abu al-Fadhl Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Atha’illah as-Sakandari (q.s.) said, “No deed is more fruitful for the heart than the one you are not aware of and which is deemed paltry by you.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir