Friday, 26 September 2014

Two Stories on the Effects of Swalawat

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following is recorded in al-Qawl al-Badi' fi asw-Swalah ‘ala al-Habib ash-Shafi’i by Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Abd ar-Rahman as-Sakhawi (q.s.).

A pious saint, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Sa’id ibn Mutharrif (q.s.) says, “I had made it a habit to confer a fixed number of blessings upon the Noble Prophet (s.a.w.) before retiring to bed at night.  I once retired to bed in the upper chamber of my house after conferring my fixed number of blessings when I saw the Noble Prophet (s.a.w.) in a dream.  He entered through the door of the upper chamber whereby the whole upper chamber instantly filled with light.  The Noble Prophet (s.a.w.) then came towards me and said, ‘Bring forward that mouth which confers blessings upon me in abundance so that I may kiss it.’

I felt ashamed to present my mouth before the blessed mouth of the Noble Prophet (s.a.w.) and so I turned my cheek towards him.  The Noble Prophet (s.a.w.) then kissed me on my cheek.  I suddenly woke up overcome with anxiety and this caused my wife who was lying next to me to suddenly awake too.  The whole upper chamber was emanating with the beautiful fragrance of musk and this fragrance remained on my cheek for eight days.”

Imam Abu Nu’aym (q.s.) related in his Nuzhat al-Majalis that Imam Sufyan ats-Tsawri (q.s.) said, “I was once leaving my house when my gaze fell upon a youth who was reading, ‘Allahumma swalli ‘alaa Muhammad wa ‘alaa ali Muhammad,’ with every step he took.

I asked him, ‘Is there any proof for your action?’

He asked, ‘Who are you?’

I replied, ‘Sufyan ats-Tsawri.’

‘Sufyan of Iraq?’ he asked.  I replied in the affirmative.  He asked, ‘Do you have the ma’rifat of Allah?’  I replied in the affirmative.  He asked, ‘How did you attain it?’

I said, ‘He Takes the night out of the day and the day out of the night, and He Fashions the child in the mother’s womb.’

He said, ‘You have not truly recognised Him.’

I asked him, ‘So how have you come to recognise Him?’

He replied, ‘I firmly decide on doing something, but I end up having to cancel it.  I resolve to do something but find that I am unable to fulfill it.  Through this, I have realised that there is another being who is governing my affairs.’

I asked him regarding his conferring of blessings.  He said, ‘I went for the hajj with my mother.  My mother passed away during the journey.  Her face turned black and her stomach bloated whereby I realised that she had committed a grave sin.  As I lifted my hands towards the sky to beseech Allah, I saw a cloud coming from Tihama (Hijaz) from which a man appeared.  He passed his hand over my mother’s face making it luminous and over her stomach, causing the swelling to disappear.  I asked him, ‘Who are you?’  You have alleviated me and my mother of this great affliction.’

He replied, ‘I am your prophet, Muhammad.’

I asked him for some advice.  The Prophet (s.a.w.) instructed, ‘Whenever you take a step, read ‘Allahumma swalli ‘alaa Muhammad wa ‘alaa ali Muhammad.’’”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be posted.