Sunday, 24 August 2014

The Muslim Convert Pledge

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Here are a few simple rules I keep to maintain sanity in a messed up ummah.  It would be especially useful for new converts to Islam.


Converting to Islam means I am a Muslim. I did not leave my cultural and ethnic heritage and become Arab, Pakistani, Somali, Turk, Malay, Kurd or whatever nationality.

As a Muslim, the myriad cultural and historical baggage of the community are not suddenly my issues.  I have personal, family and immediate religious needs to be addressed.  Whilst I understand there are tragedies in the Muslim world, I am not going to leave everything behind and get involved in things I do not fully understand because ‘everybody’ is doing it.

I understand religion to be like a car.  And every driver is a soul.  I will not judge the car on the basis of the driver.  I do not see Islam on the basis of Muslims.  Rather, if there is any doubt, I try to find a reference in the Prophet (s.a.w.).

I will try my best to find a good teacher and ask Allah (s.w.t.) for one.  And I will study the religion to the depths so that I can know my God.  This is also my shield against the next idiot and his personal fatwa with no basis in the religion.

I will never cease making supplication and have constant conversation with God.  Surely, if I turn to Him, He will never forsake me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be posted.