The Muslim Convert Pledge

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ 

Here are a few simple rules I keep to maintain sanity in a messed up ummah.  It would be especially useful for new converts to Islam. 

Converting to Islam means I am a Muslim.  I did not leave my cultural and ethnic heritage and become Arab, Pakistani, Somali, Turk, Malay, Kurd or whatever nationality. 

As a Muslim, the myriad cultural and historical baggage of the community are not suddenly my issues.  I have personal, family and immediate religious needs to be addressed.  Whilst I understand there are tragedies in the Muslim world, I am not going to leave everything behind and get involved in things I do not fully understand because “everybody” is doing it. 

I understand religion to be like a car.  And every driver is a soul.  I will not judge the car on the basis of the driver.  I do not see Islam on the basis of Muslims.  Rather, if there is any doubt, I try to find a reference in the example of the Prophet (s.a.w.). 

I will try my best to find good teachers.  And I will study the religion to the depths so that I can know my God.  This is also my shield against the next idiot and his personal fatwa with no basis in the religion.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir