Prayers & Charity for a Need

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following is an example of tawaswswul, as experienced by Imam Abu al-Muzhaffar ‘Awn ad-Din Yahya ibn Hubayrah ash-Shaybani ad-Duri al-Baghdadi al-Hanbali (r.a.), at the maqam of Shaykh Abu Mahfuzh Ma’ruf ibn Firuz al-Karkhi (q.s.). 

Imam Shams ad-Din Abu al-‘Abbas Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Khallikan (r.a.), in his biographical dictionary, Wafayat al-‘Ayan wa Anba’ Abna’ az-Zaman, mentioned that Shaykh Shams ad-Din Abu al-Muzhaffar Yusuf ibn Kizughli (r.a.), the grandson of Imam Abu al-Faraj ‘Abd ar-Rahman ibn ‘Ali ibn al-Jawzy (r.a.), related in his work, Mirat az-Zaman, that Shaykh ibn Hubayrah al-Hanbali (r.a.) had given an account of his experience. 

He had said, “I was in such straitened circumstances that, for some days, I remained without food.  One of my family then advised me to visit the tomb of Ma’ruf al-Kharki, and there, ask God’s Assistance, because all prayers offered up at that tomb were Fulfilled.  So I went to the tomb of Ma’ruf, prayed there, and invoked.  I, then, retired with the intention of returning to the town,” referring to Baghdad, “and I passed through Katufta, and there I saw a deserted mosque. 

I went into it, for the sake of saying a prayer of two raka’ah, and saw there, a sick man lying on a mat.  I sat down by his head, and asked him if he desired anything.  He replied, ‘A quince.’  I went to a fruiterer, and got for him two quinces and an apple, for which I left my cloak in pledge.  The man ate part of the quince, and made me shut the door.  When I had done so, he got off the mat, and told me to dig there.  I dug and found a jar.  ‘Take it,’ he said, ‘for you are more deserving of it than any other.’  The jar contained five hundred dananir.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir