When Madina Wept

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Sayyidina Bilal ibn Rabah al-Habashi (r.a.) moved to Damascus upon the demise of Rasulullah (s.a.w.).  He dreamed of the Prophet (s.a.w.) who asked him, “Why did you run away from me, O Bilal?” 

Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) quickly returned to Madina.  He went to visit the Prophet’s (s.a.w.) maqam, crying.  On his way back, he met Sayyidina Abu Bakr ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Utsman asw-Swiddiq (r.a.) who said to him, “O Bilal, I wish you would perform adzan as before.” 

Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) replied, “No, I cannot bring myself to do it since the passing of the Prophet (s.a.w.).” 

Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) continued walking and met Sayyidina Abu Hafsw ‘Umar ibn al-Khaththab al-Faruq (r.a.).  He, too, asked Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) to perform the adzan.  Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) replied, “I cannot. I am afraid I will not be able to say the Prophet’s (s.a.w.) name.” 

Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) walked away, until he met Sayyidina Hasan ibn ‘Ali, the Prophet’s (s.a.w.) grandson, who also made the same request.  To him, Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) said, “I cannot say no to you.  I fear I will not get shafa’at from the Prophet (s.a.w.) should I turn you down.” 

Without much delay, Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) finally said the adzan.  The moment Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) began, the women of Madina were startled.  “This is the voice from the time of the Prophet (s.a.w.)!” they cried. 

When it was time for Sayyidina Bilal (r.a.) to profess “Ashhadu anna Muhammadar Rasulullah”, the city of Madina wept and trembled. 

“Muhammad is still alive,” they said.  And indeed, the Prophet (s.a.w.) is still alive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir