A Lesson on Not Jumping to Conclusions

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following is from ‘Umdat an-Nazir ‘ala al-Ashbah wa an-Nazha’ir by Imam Zayn ad-Din ibn Ibrahim ibn Nujaym al-Miswri (r.a.).  The lesson here is about not jumping to conclusions and thinking the best of people. 

Imam Abu Hanifah Nu’man ibn Tsabit (r.a.) was told by a man in the presence of his students, “I do not hope for Paradise.  I do not fear Hell.  I do not fear Allah (s.w.t.).  I have eaten the dead.  I have prayed without recitation, bowing, or prostration.  I testify to that which I do not see, and I love tribulation.” 

Imam Abu Hanifah’s (r.a.) students were unanimous in their opinion: “This man has a problem.” 

Imam Abu Hanifah (r.a.) said, “This man hopes in Allah (s.w.t.), not in Paradise.  He fears Allah (s.w.t.), not the Fire.  He does not fear oppression from Allah (s.w.t.) in His Punishment.  He has eaten fish and grasshoppers.  He prays the funeral prayer.  He testifies to the Oneness of Allah (s.w.t.).  He detests death, and this is truth and he loves wealth and children; they are tribulation.” 

The man arose and kissed Imam Abu Hanifah’s (r.a.) head and said, “I testify that you are a treasury of knowledge.”


Comments

  1. ASA I don't understand this hadith in light of the fact that the man made the statement "I do not fear Allah (s.w.t.)."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa 'Alaykum as-Salaam,

      There is a typo there. I will correct it, insha'Allah. Thank you for pointing it out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be posted.

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir