How to Drink Zamzam

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيم

When drinking zamzam, it is recommended to drink one’s fill as a sign of gratitude for Allah’s (s.w.t.) Bounty.  It is drunk with a specific intent, and not frivolously.  To do so, face the qiblah, mention the Name of Allah (s.w.t.), then say, “O Allah, it has reached me that Your Messenger (s.a.w.) said, ‘The water of Zamzam is for that which it was drunk for.’  O Allah, I drink it so that You may Forgive me.  O Allah, Forgive me.’”  Or, “‘O Allah I drink it seeking Healing from illness; O Allah, Heal me.’”  We may also ask for whatever it is that is our need.

It is recommended that one drink it in three breaths like with any other beverage, and when done, to praise Allah (s.w.t.).  There are numerous ahadits on this issue.  Sayyidina Abu Dzar Jundub ibn Junadah al-Ghifari (r.a.) reported that the Prophet (s.a.w.) said, of zamzam, “It is Blessed.  It is nourishing food, and a healing for sickness.”

Shaykh ‘Utsman ibn al-Aswad (r.a.) reported that he talked to someone who had sat with Sayyidina ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas (r.a.). who said, “ibn ‘Abbas asked me where I was coming from.  I told him I had just finished drinking from Zamzam.  ibn ‘Abbas then asked me if I had drunk like I was supposed to.  I asked him, how should I drink?  He said, ‘When you drink, face the qiblah, then mention Allah’s (s.w.t.) Name, then drink it in three breaths, and drink as much as you can.  When you are done, praise Allah (s.w.t.) because the Prophet (s.aw.) used to say, '’A major difference between us and the hypocrites is that they do not drink their fill of the water of Zamzam.’’”  The practice is as above.  When we are in Makkah, the adab is to face the Ka’bah.

Alternatively, we may recite the du'a of Sayyidina ibn ‘Abbas (r.a.), “O Allah!  Grant me beneficial knowledge, bountiful provision, and a healing from every disease.”  And finally, to praise Allah (s.w.t.) when finished.  Additionally, scholars have said that the benefits of zamzam are not limited to the drinker, meaning that if someone drinks zamzam for their child or brother for example, the benefits can reach this person if the drinker has sincere intentions.

Scholars have differed over whether one should drink zamzam seated or standing.  Some have said that it is sunnah to sit, and have said that the hadits of Sayyidina ibn ‘Abbas (r.a.), where he gave zamzam to the Prophet (s.a.w.), while the Prophet (s.a.w.) was standing was just to show the permissibility of standing.  They quote the hadits of Imam Abu ‘Abdullah Muhammad ibn Yazid ibn Majah (r.a.), from Sayyidina ‘Aaswim ibn Tsabit (r.a.), where Sayyidina ‘Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl (r.a.) swore that the Prophet (s.a.w.) could not have drunk zamzam while standing because he was riding at the time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir