The Scholar & the Prophet

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Imam Abu al-Hasan ‘Ali ibn ‘Abdullah ash-Shadzili (q.s.) dreamt that he entered Jerusalem and saw the Prophet (s.a.w.) on a throne or a raised chair and around him were all the prophets.  He heard Musa (a.s.) say to the Prophet (s.a.w.), “You say that the scholars of your ummah are like the prophets of Israelites.” 

And the Prophet (s.a.w.) replied, “Yes, would you like to meet one of them?”  He turned around and asked, “Where is Abu Hamid al-Ghazali?” 

Imam Abu Hamid Muhammad ibn Muhammad al-Ghazali (r.a.) entered and sat with them.  They asked him, “What is your name, O Imam?” 

He replied, “My name is Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Muhammad al-Ghazali ath-Thusi.” 

Musa (a.s.) said to him, “We only asked your name.  We did not want to know the name of your father and grandfather and tribe!  Is this from good manners?” 

Imam al-Ghazali (r.a.) turned to the Prophet (s.a.w.) and asked, “O Messenger of God, should I keep quiet in front of the One Who Speaks Directly to God, or should I answer him?” 

The Prophet (s.a.w.) replied, “Go ahead and reply.” 

Imam al-Ghazali (r.a.) said, “O Musa, O He Who Speaks to God Directly, when your Lord Asked you, ‘What is that in your right hand, O Musa?’ you replied, ‘It is my staff; I lean upon it, I tend to my flock with it, and it has many other uses.’  And you were not asked about all this except what was in your hand!” 

Musa (a.s.) was surprised and said, “You have spoken the truth, O Muhammad; the scholars of your ummah resemble the prophets amongst us.”



Comments

  1. Wonderful, thank you for sharing that beautiful story-one I haven't heard before. (Gorgeous image as well.) May Allah continue to shower us with His Mercy and guide us to perceive it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why Prophet Musa did answer Allah like that?
    Also, why Imam Gazzali answered to Prophet Musa like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They answered according to their nature, in a hal.

      Delete
    2. In an ecstatic mood.

      Delete
  3. Where is the refrence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you need it? You think you are qualified to check my work? You are just some anonymous troll.

      Delete
  4. I wanted to ask the reference for this because I really need it. I did not want to post this anonymous but I have no blog or URL hence I had to do it like this. Can you please answer my queries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not recall. I never post the reference because they are not important for my blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be posted.

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir