Du’a an-Nur

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

It is related by Sayyidina ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas (r.a.) that he once stayed the night as a guest of Sayyidatina Maymunah bint al-Harits al-Hillaliyyah (r.a.), who was his aunt, and the Prophet (s.a.w.).  They slept on their blanket lengthways, and he slept at the end, crossways.  After they had all slept for a while, the Prophet (s.a.w.) rose in the middle of the night to pray tahajjud, and Sayyidina ibn ‘Abbas (r.a.) joined him.

They both performed wudhu, and he prayed eleven rak’ah with the Prophet (s.a.w.).  Then they both went back to sleep again until dawn.  Sayyidina Bilal ibn Rabah al-Habashi (r.a.) called the adzan and the Prophet (s.a.w.) did another two short rak’ah, before going into the mosque to lead swalah al-fajr.

Sayyidina ibn ‘Abbas (r.a.) said that one of the ud’iyyah that the Prophet (s.a.w.) made during this night was, “O Allah, Place light in my heart, light in my tongue, light in my hearing, light in my sight, light behind me, light in front of me, light on my right, light on my left, light above me and light below me; place light in my sinew, in my flesh, in my blood, in my hair and in my skin; Place light in my soul and Make light abundant for me; Make me light and Grant me light.”

This hadits was transmitted by Imam ‘Asakir ad-Din Abu al-Husayn Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj (r.a.) and others.  The wording of Imam Muslim’s (r.a.) recording differs slightly from Imam Abu ‘Abdullah Muhammad ibn Isma’il al-Bukhari (r.a.), Imam Abu ‘Isa Muhammad ibn ‘Isa as-Sulami at-Tirmidzi (r.a.) and Imam Shihab ad-Din Abu al-Fadhl Ahmad ibn ‘Ali ibn Hajr al-‘Asqalani (r.a.), with no change in meaning.


Allahummaj’al fii qalbii nuuran wa fii lisaanii nuuran wa aj’al fii sam’iyyi nuuran aj’al fii baswarii nuuran wa aj’al min tahtii nuuran wa aj’al min fawqii nuuran wa an yamiinii nuuran wa an yasaatii nuuran wa aj’al amaamii nuuran wa aj’al khalqii nuuran wa aj’al fii nafsii nuuran wa a’azhimlii nuuran.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir