The Goldsmith

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

There was a goldsmith who was busy heating some precious metal.  He was sitting very close to the fire, and had his hand almost inside the flames, heating gold and silver. 

“Why are you burning this?”, asked a passerby. 

“I am not burning it; I am simply getting rid of all the impurities in it.” 

“Are you going to sit like this whole day, putting your hand in the fire?” 

“Yes,” he smiled, “Not only will I keep doing it, also I cannot take my eyes off it even for a moment.  A little carelessness, and I will lose something very precious to me.  I will have to keep watching it.” 

“But how will you know that it is purified?” wondered the passerby. 

“When it starts glowing and shining from within.  I will be able to see my face reflected in it.” 

And that is the nature of trials on the soul.  There is Someone Shaping each and every soul in the crucible of this world.  Not one moment does the Divine Gaze waver; it is Most Intense when the flame is hottest, and trials greatest.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir