Majnun’s Wine

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad ar-Rumi (q.s.) said, “During Majnun’s time, there were girls much more beautiful than Layla, but they were not loved by him.  When told, ‘There are girls more beautiful than Layla.  Let us show them to you,’ he would always reply, ‘I do not love Layla for her external form.  She is of external form; she is like a goblet which I hold and from I drink wine.  I am in love with the wine I drink therefrom.  You see only the goblet, and are not aware of the wine.  Of what use would a golden goblet be to me, if it were filled with vinegar or something other than wine?  For me, a broken old gourd filled with wine would be better than a hundred such goblets.’”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir