Two Deviants at the Gathering

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Imam Abu Bakr Ahmad ibn Husayn al-Bayhaqi (r.a.) wrote, “It is said that two deviants came to the gathering of ‘Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak and asked him if they could recite a hadits to him. 

ibn al-Mubarak replied, ‘I do not want to hear a hadits from you.’ 

They asked if they could recite a verse of the Qur’an. 

Again, ibn al-Mubarak replied, ‘I do not want to hear a verse from you.  Either you both leave, or I will leave.’  So, they left. 

The students asked why he did not hear a verse for surely, they cannot fabricate a verse.  Imam ibn al-Mubarak replied, ‘What if they incorrectly commented on the verse, and that commentary touched my heart?  I would have also become misguided.’”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir