Visiting the Ghawts

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The first shaykh of Ghawts al-A’azham, Shaykh Muhyi ad-Din Abu Muhammad ibn Abu Swalih ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani (q.s.), was Khwaja Abu Ya’qub Yusuf ibn Ayyub al-Hamdani (q.s.), who was the quthb of his time.  Khwaja Yusuf al-Hamadani (q.s.) was the 9th shaykh in the Naqshbandi Haqqani Golden Chain, and the first of the Khwajangan, the Masters of Central Asia. 

It is recorded by Imam Shibab ad-Din Abu al-ʿAbbas Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Hajr al-Haytsami (r.a.), in al-Fatawa al-Haditsiyyah.  Imam Abu Sa’id ‘Abdullah ibn Abu ‘Asrun (r.a.), the imam of the Shafi`i madzhab of his time, said “When I began a search for religious knowledge, I kept company with my friend, ibn as-Saqa’, who was a student in the Nizhamiyyah, and it was our custom to visit the pious.  We heard that there was, in Baghdad, a man named Yusuf al-Hamadani who was known as al-Ghawts, and that he was able to appear whenever he liked, and was able to disappear whenever he liked.  So I decided to visit him along with ibn as-Saqa’, and ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Gilani, who was a young man at that time. 

ibn as-Saqa’ said, ‘When we visit Yusuf al-Hamadani, I am going to ask him a question, the answer to which he will not know.’ 

I said, ‘I am also going to ask him a question so I can judge his answer.’ 

‘Abd al-Qadir said, ‘O Allah, I am there for his barakah, and divine knowledge.’ 

We entered his association.  He kept himself veiled from us, and we did not see him until after some time.  He looked at ibn as-Saqa’ angrily, and said, without having been informed of his name, ‘O ibn as-Saqa’, how dare you come with the intention to confound me.’”  He stated ibn as-Saqa’s question, and gave the answer.  “Then he said, ‘I see the fire of disbelief burning in your heart.’” 

Imam ibn Abu ‘Asrun (r.a.) continued, “He looked at me and said, ‘O ‘Abdullah, you are hear to test me.’”  He then told him his question, and gave the answer.  “‘Let the people be sad for you, because they lose because of your lack of disrespect for the awliya’.’ 

Then he looked at Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qadir, and said: ‘O ‘Abd al-Qadir, you have Pleased Allah (s.w.t.) and His Prophet (s.a.w.) with your adab.  I see you sitting on the highest place in Baghdad, teaching and guiding people, and saying to them that your feet are on the neck of every wali.  I see, before me, every wali of your time giving you precedence because of your great station.’ 

‘Abd al-Qadir’s fame became widespread and all that Shaykh al-Hamadani said about him came to pass.  There came a time when he did say, ‘My feet are on the necks of all the awliya’, and he was a reference and a beacon guiding all people in his time.” 

Imam ibn Abu ‘Asrun (r.a.) continued, “The fate of ibn as-Saqa’ was something else.  He was brilliant in his knowledge of Divine Law.  He preceded all the scholars in his time.  He used to debate with the scholars of his time and overcome them, until the caliph called him to his association.  One day, the caliph sent him, as an envoy, to the Emperor of Rome,” referring to the Eastern Roman Empire. “The Emperor called all his priests and scholars to debate with him.  ibn as-Saqa’ was able to overcome them all in debate.  He made them look like children and mere students in his presence. 

His brilliance made the Emperor so fascinated with him that he invited him to his private family meeting.  There, he saw the daughter of the Emperor, and fell madly in love.  He asked her father for her hand in marriage.  She refused, except on condition that he accept her religion.  He left Islam, and became a Christian, losing all his knowledge. 

After his marriage he became seriously ill.  They threw him out of the palace.  He became a town beggar, asking everyone for food, yet no one would provide for him.  Darkness had come over his face.  One day, he saw someone that knew him.  That person relates, ‘I asked him, ‘What happened to you?’ 

He replied, ‘There was a temptation and I fell into it.’ 

The man asked him, ‘Do you remember anything from the Qur’an?’ 

He replied, ‘I only remember this: 

سُوۡرَةُ الحِجر

رُّبَمَا يَوَدُّ ٱلَّذِينَ ڪَفَرُواْ لَوۡ كَانُواْ مُسۡلِمِينَ (٢) 

Again and again will those who disbelieve wish that they had bowed (to Allah’s Will) in Islam. (Surah al-Hijr:2)” 

He was trembling as if he was giving up his last breath.  I turned him towards the Ka’bah, but he kept turning towards the East.  Then I turned him back towards the Ka’bah, but he turned himself to the East.  I turned him a third time, but he turned himself to the East.  Then, as his soul was passing from him, he said, ‘O Allah, that is the result of my disrespect your friend.”” 

Imam ibn Abu ‘Asrun (r.a.) continued, “I went to Damascus and the ruler there, Nur ad-Din ash-Shahid, put me in control of the religious department, and I accepted.  As a result, dunya entered from every side: provision, fame, wealth, position for the rest of my life.  That is what the ghawts, Yusuf al-Hamadani had predicted for me.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir