Mathematics is Not That Simple

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Ustadz Adam Daniel Kelwick said, “I remember once spending time with a mathematics professor.  Much of what he said went straight over my head, but I asked him, ‘In all your years of research in mathematics, what is the most amazing thing you have ever discovered?’

He answered, ‘I discovered that one add one does not necessarily equal two.’  I asked him to explain.  He replied, ‘What is one cow add one donkey?’  I kept quiet.  He continued, ‘See, the ones must be of the same type for them to equal two, and that is a condition, so it is not as simple as people assume.’

The moral of the story is that those with knowledge understand much more than those without.  Complex things are made simple for them and simple things can even be made complex.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir