Nuances of Halal & Haram

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

A man came to Qadhi Iyas ibn Mu’awiyah ibn Qurrah al-Muzani (r.a.), the tabi’in qadhi, and asked, “What is the ruling regarding wine?” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) replied, “It is haram.” 

The man then asked, “How about water?” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) replied, “It is halal.” 

The man then asked, “How about dates and grapes?” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) replied, “They are halal.” 

The man then thought himself clever and asked, “Why is it that all these ingredients are halal, and yet when you combine them, they become haram?” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) asked, by way of reply, “If I hit you with this handful of dirt, do you think it would hurt you?” 

The man replied, “Of course not!” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) then asked, “How about if I hit you with this handful of straw?” 

The man said, “It would not hurt me.” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) asked, “How about a handful of water?” 

The man said, “It surely would not hurt me.” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) then asked, “How about if I mix them, and let them dry to become a brick, and then hit you with it, would it hurt you?” 

The man replied, “It would not just hurt me; it might even kill me.” 

Qadhi Iyas (r.a.) answered, “The same reasoning applies to what you asked me.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir