Allah (s.w.t.) Protected the Young Muhammad (s.a.w.)

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Shaykh ‘Utsman Nuri Tufbas wrote, in “The Prophet Muhammad Muswthafa the Elect (s.a.w.)”, the young Muhammad (s.a.w.) was Protected, by Allah (s.w.t.), from the evil habits of his society and times.  He spent his youth immersed in moral purity in a way deserving of carrying the duty of prophethood, which a bright future stored for him.  The man with the noblest lineage had undoubtedly also embodied the highest moral values among his people well before beginning his mission as a prophet.  Combined with all these traits also, was an unprecedented dependability, leading his peers to nickname him, “al-Amin”, “the Trustworthy”; and “asw-Swadiq”, “the Honest.” 

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) was once asked whether he had ever worshipped idols, or drank wine before prophethood.  Replying to both questions in the negative, the Prophet (s.a.w.) then went on to affirm, “Even though I did not know about the Book and faith, I somehow knew the Makkans were indulging in disobedience to Allah (s.w.t.).” 

The Prophet (s.a.w.) recounted another time, during his childhood, when he experienced the Protection of the Allah (s.w.t.): “Still a young boy, I was playing with the boys of Quraysh, carrying stones from one place to another.  To carry the stones with more ease, the other boys took off their garments and placed them over their shoulders, on top of which they began placing the stones.  Just as I was intending to do the same, I felt a very hard punch by someone I could not see.  ‘Leave your garment on’, was all I heard him say.  So, I left my garment on and continued to carry stones dressed, the only one among my friends who still had his clothes on.”  This is recorded by Shaykh Abu Muhammad ‘Abd al-Malik ibn Hisham (r.a.). 

Another similar incident, predating the onset of prophethood, occurred during the rebuilding of the Ka’bah, when the young Muhammad (s.a.w.) was carrying stones on his shoulders with his uncle, Sayyidina ‘Abbas ibn ‘Abd al-Muththalib (r.a.), who advised his nephew to put his garment over his shoulders so as not to hurt himself.  But when he tried to comply, the young Muhammad (s.a.w.) collapsed on the ground, and with eyes fixed on the skies, all he could do was to ask his uncle for his garments back so he could cover his body.  This is recorded in Swahih al-Bukhari.  Although strolling naked in certain circumstances was deemed acceptable at the time, the Prophet (s.a.w.) never walked in such a manner utterly unacceptable by Islam. 

One can also remember the conversation between the Prophet (s.a.w.), still twelve years old child at the time, with Sayyidina Bahirah (r.a.), for an ample idea of his attitude to Makkan wrongdoings.  When Sayyidina Bahirah (r.a.) asked the child to speak the truth in the name of the idols Lat and ‘Uzza, the response he got was, “By Allah, I never hated anything more than Lat and ‘Uzza so do not ask me anything in their name.”  This is recorded by Shaykh Abu ‘Abdullah Muhammad ibn Ishaq (r.a.), Shaykh Abu ‘Abdullah Muhammad ibn Sa’d (r.a.), and Imam Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Hanbal (r.a.). 

Sayyidatina Umm Ayman Barakah bint Tsa’labah (r.a.), the caretaker of the Prophet (s.a.w.), reported that the Quraysh used to pay homage to an idol called Buwabah, where they would organise a special festival in its honour on a particular day each year, consisting of remaining next to the idol all day long, and shaving their heads in reverence.   Like other Makkans, Sayyidina Abu Thalib ibn ‘Abd al-Muththalib (r.a.) had also prepared eagerly for this annual festival and asked his orphan nephew to attend with him.  Much to the fury of his uncle and aunts, however, Muhammad (s.a.w.) declined the offer.  “We are afraid a calamity will befall you for your lack of respect for our idols”, his aunts were saying, pleading the child to be present at the festival.  Muhammad (s.a.w.) ultimately accepted his aunts’ pleas and made his way to the festival with his people.  But once they arrived at the presence of the idol, Muhammad (s.a.w.) all of a sudden disappeared, returning moments later petrified, with a pale face.  Asked by his anxious aunts as to what had happened, he said, “I fear I may be possessed by an evil spirit!” 

“Allah would never leave you to suffer such torment, for you are a child exuding all kinds of virtue,” his aunts assured him.  “Just tell us what you saw.” 

“Each time I drew near the idol, a tall man white man appeared telling me to get back, and refrain from touching it”, he said.  This would prove to be the last time Muhammad (s.a.w.) was forced to attend idolater festivities. 

The subsequent account given by the Prophet (s.a.w.) is quoted by his cousin, Sayyidina ‘Ali ibn Abu Thalib (k.w.): “Never did I think of taking any part in the festivities organised during the Time of Ignorance, except on two occasions.  But on both occasions, I was Protected by Allah (s.w.t.) from these evils.  While shepherding on one evening, I remember asking one of my fellow shepherds. ‘Could you please look after my sheep, so I have a chance to go down to Makkah, and attend in that revelry like the other boys?’ 

‘Sure’, he said. ‘Do whatever you want.’ 

So, I went to Makkah.  The moment I entered, I could hear music and singing coming from the first house.  Inquiring what the occasion was, I was told that so-and-so were getting married.  I decided to sit down and watch.  But taking hold of me almost immediately was an immense drowsiness that put me to deep sleep.  I was only awoken next morning by the heat of the Sun.  I quickly went back to my friend.  When he saw me, he instantly asked me to tell him what I did.  ‘I did nothing’, I replied.  The same thing happened to me again on another night, when I went to Makkah to participate in an event, only to be overcome with fatigue.  I never again thought or did anything of this sort, until the day Allah (s.w.t.) Honoured me with Prophethood.”  This is recoded by Shaykh ibn Ishaq (r.a.), and Hafizh ‘Imad ad-Din Abu al-Fida’ Isma’il ibn ‘Umar ibn Katsir (r.a.).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir