The Shield of the Scholar

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Imam Abu ‘Abdullah Malik ibn Anas (r.a.) said, “The shield of the scholar is, ‘I do not know,’ so if he neglects it, his statement is attacked.” 

On one occasion, a delegation, having heard about his vast knowledge, travelled from far to visit him.  They then proceeded to ask him forty-eight questions, and he replied with, “I do not know” to thirty-two questions. 

In another instance, a man upon receiving the same answer, said to him, “What shall I tell my people, who have sent me from so far to you, the most knowledgeable person of Madina?” 

Imam Malik (r.a.) replied, “Tell your people that Malik does not know.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir