Our Reality in the Grave

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Imam Abu ‘Abd ar-Rahman ‘Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak (r.a.) said, “I passed by a weaver when I had broken the thong of my sandal and he gave me a new one to me with a strap.  I asked, ‘Did you do it for pay?’ 

He said, ‘Yes.’  When I passed by him, I leaned towards him and greeted him. 

Then I missed him and found that he had closed his shop.  I asked one of the neighbours about him.  I said, ‘If he is sick, I will visit him.  If he is busy, I will help him.  If he is poor, I will share with him.’ 

They said, ‘We have no knowledge of him.’ 

I asked permission to enter his house and he came out to me.  I asked him, ‘What has kept you from your shop?’ 

He said to me, ‘You, ibn al-Mubarak.  People see you inclining to me, so they have put a shirt on me which I do not deserve.’ 

I took his sleeve and went with him to the graves.  I said, ‘This is the grave of so-and-so.  His business was such-and-such.  This is the grave of so-and-so.  His business was such-and-such.’ 

He said to me, ‘ibn al-Mubarak, I do not know what you are saying.’ 

I replied, ‘The man is not all the man whom the tongues describe and the man is not all the man whom the eyes see.  The man is the one whom Allah Veils in his life and makes him enter the grave Veiled and then He Brings him out on the Day of Rising when there is no abasement or rebellion on him.  That is the man.’”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir