It is Forbidden to Narrate Ahadits from Yazid ibn Mu’awiyah

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Imam Sibth ibn al-Jawzy Shams ad-Din Yusuf ibn Qizughli’s (r.a.) grandfather, Imam Abu al-Faraj ‘Abd ar-Rahman ibn ‘Ali ibn al-Jawzy (r.a.) stated, in his ar-Radd ‘ala al-Muta’aswib al-‘Anid al-Mani’ min Dzamm Yazid, “An individual asked me about my views on Yazid ibn Mu’awiyah.  I replied that he need not concern himself with that.  He then asked if it is permissible to curse him.  I stated that the pious scholars of the past, including Ahmad ibn Hanbal, permitted this, with the latter making statements that far exceeded that of mere cursing.” 

Imam Abu al-Faraj ibn al-Jawzy (r.a.) wrote, “I asked Ahmad ibn Hanbal about Yazid ibn Mu’awiyah, and he replied that he was the one who performed such infamous deeds.  I asked what it was that he had done.  ibn Hanbal said that he had plundered the city of Madina and massacred its inhabitants.  I asked if it was permissible to narrate hadits from him.  ibn Hanbal responded that it was impermissible to do so and added that not a single good deed should be narrated about Yazid and that no one should ever write down a hadits attributed to Yazid.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir