The Weeping Eye

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following is adapted from Signs on the Horizons by Shaykh Harun Michael Sugich. 

“A hard rain drenched us as we made our way to the great mosque of Meknes amongst a group of Sufis that had gathered that day for the celebration of the birth of the Noble Prophet (s.a.w.), Mawlid an-Nabawi Sharif.  Sufis from Morocco and Algeria had converged for the occasion.  Moving with the crowd, djellaba hood covering my head against the rain, breathing in the pungent smell of wet wool, I was overtaken with the exalted sense of need and longing.  I was surrounded by men for whom life in the world had no value but to remember the Lord of Creation.  The rain reminded me of tears.  I began to weep.  The crowd stopped in a passageway leading to the Great Mosque.  A faqir turned back to face me.  He was also in tears but I saw that his tear ducts were distended, gaping open from constant weeping.  He looked me in the eyes and pointed to the heavens.  Then he turned his back to me and moved forward with the group.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir