The Death of Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad ar-Rumi (q.s.)

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ 

On the 17th December 1273, Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad ar-Rumi (q.s.) passed on from the realm longing to the realm of union, which only a distinct lover like him knew well.  It is a date Turks remember as Sheb-el-Arus, “The Wedding Night.”  Mawlana ar-Rumi (q.s.) said: 

“When on the day of my death,

They will carry my coffin,

Do not think that my heart has remained in this world.

Do not cry over me, do not say, ‘Tragedy, tragedy!’

You would be falling into the trap of the demon,

That would be a tragedy.

When seeing my corpse, do not exclaim, ‘Gone, gone!’

The union and the meeting will be mine then.

When you entrust me to the tomb, do not say. ‘Adieu, adieu!’

For the tomb hides the union in Paradise from us.

You saw the decline; I find the elevation.

For the Moon, for the Sun, is their setting harmful?

To you it looks like a sunset; in fact, it is a dawn.

Does the tomb look like a prison to you?

It is the liberation of the soul.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir