Securing His Camel

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following hadits is narrated by Imam ‘Asakir ad-Din Abu al-Husayn Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj (r.a.).  Sayyidina Jubayr ibn Muth’im (r.a.), a companion of the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.), shared this story about himself.  He said, “One day, I was on the outskirts of Madina enjoying the company of women.  I was just sitting there, chatting with them, and I had no real business to be there but I loved their company. 

When the Prophet (s.a.w.) passed by, he asked me ‘What are you doing with those women?’ 

I was so embarrassed, I had to make up a lie.  I told him ‘O Messenger of Allah, these women are making a rope for me for a camel that just keeps running away from me.’  I knew I was lying, and the Prophet (s.a.w.) knew I was lying, and it was a pathetic lie.  But the Prophet (s.a.w.) said nothing.  He smiled, and kept walking by. 

The next day, I was in Madina and I heard the Prophet (s.a.w.) behind me.  I started walking quickly as I wanted to avoid him.  The Prophet (s.a.w.) walked really fast and he caught up with me.  He came next to me and he asked, ‘How is your camel doing?’  I was too embarrassed, and I looked down. 

The next day the Prophet (s.a.w.) was ahead of me. I started walking really slow to avoid him.  The Prophet (s.a.w.) stopped and looked back, and he waited for me.  As soon as I came to him, he asked me, ‘How is your camel doing?’  I was too embarrassed. 

The third day, I was praying inside the masjid.  And I heard the Prophet (s.a.w.) walk in.  I decided to make it the longest prayer ever, because I did not want to face him.  He came and sat down next to me.  He said ‘Don’t make it too long.  I am waiting for you.’  I was finally done with the prayer, and the Prophet (s.a.w.) looked at me and smiled, and he said ‘How is your camel doing?’ 

I replied ‘O Prophet of Allah, I have such a good grip on it now that it’s not running away any more.’”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir