Gratitude for Allah’s (s.w.t.) Bounties

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Once Rasulullah (s.a.w.) related that there were three men from the Banu Isra’il.  One of them was a leper, the other was bald, and the third was blind.  Allah (s.w.t.) Wanted to Test them, so He Sent an angel to them in disguise. 

The angel first went to the leper and asked him, “What would you like best?” 

He replied, “I would like a nice complexion, a beautiful skin, and that this sickness goes away from me whereby people will not allow me to sit with them without hate.”  The angel passed his hand over the body of that person.  He was immediately cured and had nice skin and beautiful complexion. 

The angel then asked him, “What type of wealth do you like the most?” 

He replied, “Camels.” 

So he gave him a pregnant camel and told him, “May Allah (s.w.t.) Give you Barakah in this.” 

The angel then went to the bald person and asked him, “What would you like best?” 

He replied, “That my hair grows nicely and that this sickness which people dislike goes away from me.”  The angel passed his hand over his head.  He was immediately cured and beautiful hair began to grow. 

He then asked him, “What type of wealth do you like the most?” 

He replied, “Cows.” 

So he gave him a pregnant cow and told him, “May Allah (s.w.t.) Give you Barakah in this.” 

Eventually, the angel went to the blind person and asked him, “What would you like most?” 

He replied, “That Allah Give me back my sight so that I may be able to see everyone.”  The angel passed his hand over his eyes and Allah (s.w.t.) gave him back his sight. 

He then asked him, “What type of wealth do you like the most?” 

He replied, “Goats.” 

So he was given a pregnant goat and the angel said, “May Allah (s.w.t.) Give you Barakah in this.” 

The animals of all three delivered their babies.  In a short time, their respective herds of camels, cows, and goats multiplied.  Thereafter, under the Orders of Allah (s.w.t.), that angel went in another form to the leper and said to him, “I am a poor person.  All my provisions for my journey are finished.  Today I have no means of reaching home except through Allah and then through your help.  In the Name of Allah Who has Blessed you with a nice skin and a beautiful complexion, I ask you for a camel which I could ride and reach my home.” 

He replied, “Get far away from here!  I have a lot of other commitments to fulfill.  I do not have anything to spare which I could give you.” 

The angel said, “I think I recognise you.  Were you not a leper whom people despised?  Were you not very poor, and then Allah Blessed you with so much of wealth?” 

He replied, “What are you talking about?  I inherited this wealth from my ancestors.” 

The angel said, “If you are lying, may Allah Return you as you were before.” 

The angel then went to the bald person in this disguise and asked him the same questions and he also replied in the same way.  So the angel said to him, “If you are lying, may Allah Return you as you were before.” 

Eventually he went to the blind person in that same disguised form and said to him, “I am a traveller and all my provisions are finished.  Today I have no means except Allah and then you.  In the Name of that Being who Returned to you your eyesight, I ask you for a goat with which I could do my work and complete my journey.” 

He replied, “Without doubt, I was blind.  It was only out of His Mercy that Allah (s.w.t.) Returned me my sight.  Take as much as you want and leave behind as much as you want.  By Allah, I will not stop you from taking anything.” 

The angel replied, “Keep your wealth with you.  I do not need anything.  I have been Sent to test you three.  Now the test is over.  Allah is Pleased with you and Displeased with the other two.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir