When Sayyidina Mu'awiyah ibn al-Hakam (r.a.) Sneezed

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

When Sayyidina Mu’awiyah ibn al-Hakam (r.a.) came to Madina, from the desert, he did not know that it was forbidden to speak during the swalah.  He related, “Whilst I was praying behind the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.), a man sneezed, so I said ‘Yarhamukullah.’  The people glared at me, so I said, ‘May my mother lose me!  What is wrong with you that you are looking at me?’  They began to slap their thighs with their hands, and when I saw that they were indicating that I should be quiet, I stopped talking.  I nearly wanted to answer them back, but I controlled myself and kept quiet. 

When the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) had finished praying - may my father and mother be sacrificed for him, I have never seen a better teacher than him before or since - he did not scold me or hit me or put me to shame.  He just said, ‘This prayer should contain nothing of the speech of men; it is only tasbih and takbir and recitation of the Qur'an.’”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir