Searching for God

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ 

Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad ar-Rumi (q.s.) wrote: 

“I searched for God among the Christians,

And on the Cross and therein I found Him not.

I went into the ancient temples of idolatry;

No trace of Him was there.

I entered the mountain cave of Hira’ and then went as far as Qandhar,

But God I found not ...

With set purpose I fared to the summit of Mount Caucasus,

And found there only anqa’s habitation.

Then I directed my search to the Ka’bah, the resort of old and young;

God was not there even.

Turning to philosophy I inquired about him from ibn Sina,

But found Him not within his range.

I fared then to the scene of the Prophet’s experience,

Of a great Divine Manifestation only a ‘two bow-lengths’ distance from him’

But God was not there even in that Exalted Court.

Finally, I looked into my own heart and there I saw Him;

He was nowhere else.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir