The Intention before a Swuhbah

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

The following is adapted from the teachings of Shaykh Muhammad Nazhim Adil al-Haqqani (q.s.).

The Naqshbandi intention before a swuhbah is as follows:


Nawaytu al-arba’iin, nawaytu al-i’itikaaf, nawaytu al-khalwah, nawaytu al-‘uzlah, nawaytu ar-riyaadhah, nawaytu as-suluuk lillahi ta’aalaa.

When we make the intention, it is as if that meeting or that association has become like a seclusion of the saints.  Nawaytu al-arba’in”, means, “I make the intention for 40 days of seclusion,” and this gathering becomes like that.  Nawaytu al-i’itikaf”, means, “I intend to make the seclusion,” the one that Prophet (s.a.w.) used to make at the masjid in the last ten days of Ramadhan, when he would stay at the mosque and not go home.  This association will be counted as that and, insha’Allah, we will be Rewarded accordingly.  Nawaytu al-khalwah”, means, “I make the intention to be with myself.”  Nawaytu al-‘uzlah”, means, “I make the intention to be away from anyone that interrupts me during this session, in my seclusion.”  Nawaytu ar-riyadhah”, means, “I intend to make this session to be an effort towards improving my spirituality.”  It is similar to when people are running, jogging, and training in a gym, working hard to be stronger.  Likewise, we are making the effort to build up our spirit.  Nawaytu as-suluk”, means, “I intend this meeting to be a journey to reality, to receive real knowledge that gnostics can put in the hearts of people.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir